How does my family deal with my writing? #amwriting #authorslife @julidrevezzo




In thinking about the answer to this question in the blog prompts (yes, I am somewhat following these prompts, even if not officially part of that group),  I have to say... I've been fairly lucky, in this respect. My parents always supported my writing endeavors—my father even said, one time, that he'd had dreams about my success at it (though I lament to say I haven't  [yet] reached the level of success he hoped for). My mother, brothers, and husband all support me as well. (Some of them make me blush at how proud they are!) Heck, my father-in-law gave me my first word processor (lo, decades ago). My mother gave me the use of her old typewriter, before that. Mom's responsible, though, I'm sure. She's the one that shoved The Hobbit into my hands (which was about the same time as a friend gave me Elric, so they're both to blame!), and Mom has a set of books that had all the good faery tales in them. I think that's where I first found the Arthurian legends. Mom's good at listening to me plot aloud, too. Case in point, we recently found a shawl pin that resembled a sword referenced in my Celtic Stewards Chronicles series (among other bits of plot babbling) and she's even went so far as to go on a research trip with me for a book I've planned for the Antique Magic series—one that is still a few books into the future. She's even let me steal backs of envelopes and old notepads from her desk when I run out when we're...well, out, if necessary. (Prior to the advent of smartphones, that is).

And then there were our ...well, playful things? The answer to "Mom, how do you spell__" was always "Look it up". In response to which, I'd get snarky and say: "How can I look it up if I don't know how to spell it?"

(To this day, on the rare occasion when I have to look the spelling of something up I still think of that exchange. :))

I also have grandparents and aunts and cousins who are proud as punch, and a nephew (two, actually) who want to be a writer. Before she passed, even my husband's grandmother was known to announce “my granddaughter is a writer!” with a certain amount of pride. :) And my own grandmother, who was a writer herself, was pleased I'd followed in her footsteps, so to speak (though I'm not sure how she felt about my chosen genres)! There was never a point where anyone said “put a time limit on this and if five years from now you're not, xyz, go get a waitressing job,” or whatever. So, how else do I answer a prompt like this one?

Even considering the real work that goes into it—you know, the hours of sitting in front of the computer typing away. The moments when I emerge to scream “It's all crap. What am I, crazy?” or “Why the f*** do I still do this?” —my hubby always supports me (the answer to that rant is invariably “You know why, dear. You love it. You know you do” ). To the point of (see previous sentence) talking me off the ledge sometimes. (Not to mention, the several friends that do the same). He will even make sure I've saved before shutting down for the night.  There have been times when (on the rare occasions when I've been out of town) he's been on the receiving end of calls that go “I need a note from a certain old notebook. Would you be a dear and dig three levels deep in such and such a place for me?”  or “get into my email and look for something about…” Yes, that happens. Organized?  Who? Me?

So, how does my family deal with my writing, you ask? Very well, I'd say. Are other authors not as lucky as me?

***


 
How does my family deal w/ my writing? #amwriting #authorslife @julidrevezzo [Tweet this!]





 


 ***
Juli D. Revezzo is the author of the MOURNING DOVE LOCKET, the latest in the Antique Magic paranormal series, also the Celtic Stewards Chronicles fantasy romance series, as well as the Victorian Romance HOUSE OF DARK ENVY, among others. Her books are available at Amazon and elsewhere.

***
Image above: Unsplash Source: unsplash.com

Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Welcome to the blog of author Juli D. Revezzo

Post a Comment