Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Favorite things--#blogging #WritersLife #HowIWrite #favoritethings



Hi everyone. I've been silent because I've been working on getting the word out about my latest release HOUSE OF DARK ENVY, as well as working on some new stuff. Plus it was a week of birthdays and stuff so I've been away from the internet posting mindset, the last week.  I do have a couple blog posts flitting around my head and thought I'd get some out, finally. The first (this one here) was actually inspired by this list of themes from blog hop I've seen going around. 

Favorite things.
Well, there's a reason this one got stuck in my head. As a kid, every now and then, I was subjected to the movie that has a song of that title (you know the one) ...and I'm sorry to admit this: It drives me crazy!!  I'm not a huge fan of musicals anyway (though I do have a sparse few I like) but that one just makes me grind my teeth. So to get that stupid song out of my head, I thought why not give the theme a shot?

Writing
First and foremost, it should go without saying, but one of my favorite favorite favorite things is writing. :) I enjoy daydreaming about what a character might do, and making up his or her story as the daydream goes along--getting a little lost to the world when I'm writing--is just the best. :) Since we storytellers no longer roam the countryside, trading our stories for bed and board (like the druids and bards of old) writing it down for others to enjoy just comes with the storytelling territory.

Favorite music:
Well, if you've seen some of my Monday Music posts, you know I have eclectic tastes. I'll listen to just about everything that catches my fancy. I grew up on rock and metal, (as you know, Heart, Metallica, and Stevie Nicks are among my favorites, as are DIO and many others). In fact,I have to say, DIO and Stevie Nicks even have influences on my writing. (Shocked, aren't you?)

I love some Americana bands: Shovels & Rope, being top of the list, and right under them, Jason Isbell.

 Also on the list are Loreena McKennitt, Kate Bush, and well...too many to list.

Music inspires or informs, or even finds its way into many of my novels and stories.  My characters hum something, or listen to something somewhere in darned near every book. *nodsnods* Even if it doesn't always show up by name, it's there, trust me.

And of course the favorites list also includes many books and movies.

Books
Too many to mention, but if you poke around my blog, you get a feel for them, Celtic mythology, first and foremost, and the Arthurian legends have always tickled my imagination. One of my favorites of those is the story of Bran called The Voyage of Bran, and well as the Welsh story "Branwen the Daughter of Llyr" in the Mabinogion. (He's even my favorite of the Celtic gods and despite the Welsh story being named after his sister, I see it as being more all about him).

Anywho, from the gods that Caitlin deals with in Antique Magic to Celtic Steward Chronicles, (and a few things in between! ) yes, those old myths and tales are still the top of my favorite books list and obviously have more than a little influence on my writing. Also authors such as  Moorcock, Anne McCaffrey, Anne Rice, Tolkien, Arthur C. Clarke, Asimov, Suzanne G. Rogers, Jolene Dawe, just to name a very few, belong on my favorites list.

And if you were to ask me paper or e-book? Hell, I can't decide. I'll take 'em all. :)

Movies
There are about a million movies, too, and from all different genres. In no particular order:

Excalibur
The Star Trek series (except 1 and 5).
I think my favorite of those are Undiscovered Country and First Contact. :) and Star Trek; Into the Darkness and Star Trek: Beyond
Star Wars
Fifth Element
The Lord of the Rings series (shocked, aren't you?)
Pan's Labyrinth
Labyrinth
Underworld
Timeline
Terminator 2
Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick
Ghostbusters :)
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
Hellboy

50 first Dates
Cold Mountain
The Aviator
 etc. You see how this list could go on and on and on.


Flowers--especially, purple ones. Obviously, if you've poked around my blog or my instagram account at all, you know I have a thing for nature. :) Now if I could just keep mine alive!

(And yes, though I heard it's not something adults admit to [really????], my favorite color is purple. I have a favorite color. Deal with it.)

Of course there are more categories I could add here: TV: *I must say, I would like to see more good fantasy-based shows on FREE television, please. If we can have 7 million cops and autopsy shows, we sure as heck can handle the blood of, say Game of Thrones. So what if they show a little skin? I admit, I love Sleepy Hollow (no, not just for Tom Mison--okay, maybe a  little ;)) I enjoyed Exorcist, too (I hope it hasn't been canceled??) 

And I was intrigued this weekend by the premiere of Time After Time. It shows promise. We'll see.

Also, food, Youtube videos, jewelry, tarot decks (the Llewellyn Tarot), blogs, clothing, birds (ravens!) not necessarily all in that order, etc.


That's the short version, But I don't want to put you to sleep listing everything I love!. :)  . Do you see any of your favorite things here?

 
 


***
 
Juli D. Revezzo is the author of the MOURNING DOVE LOCKET, the latest in the Antique Magic paranormal series, also the Celtic Stewards Chronicles fantasy romance series, as well as the Victorian Romance HOUSE OF DARK ENVY, among others. Her books are available in ebook and paperback at Amazon in  and elsewhere.
Post a Comment

Juli's Books

Available at Amazon. Some also available at Audible, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords and Createspace.
Frigga's
New audiobook @ Audible
Victorian romance, historical romance, Juli D. Revezzo, historical romance, read free with Amazon Prime, Kindle Unlimited
The Artist's Inheritance, Antique Magic book 1, by Juli D. Revezzo, Gothic fiction, witch fiction, pagan paranormal fictionCaitlin's Book of Shadows, Antique Magic book 2, by Juli D. Revezzo, short fiction, free ebook, witch fiction, pagan paranormal fictionDrawing Down the Shades, Antique Magic book 3, by Juli D. Revezzo, Gothic fiction, witch fiction, pagan paranormal fiction
Lady of the Tarot by Juli D. Revezzo, Gothic romance, historical romance, tarotHouse of Cards, Reign of Tarot book 1, by Juli D. Revezzo, pagan paranormal fiction, witch fiction, tarot-themed fiction, Gothic fiction, supernatural horrorPassion's Sacred Dance, Celtic Stewards Chronicles, book 1 by Juli D. Revezzo, fantasy, romance, pagan paranormal romance, read free with Kindle UnlimitedDruid Warrior's Heart, Celtic Stewards Chronicles, book 2 by Juli D. Revezzo, fantasy, romance, pagan paranormal romance, read free with Kindle Unlimited
Sing a Mournful Melody by Juli D. Revezzo, Gothic fiction, Vampire fiction, short storyChangeling's Crown by Juli D. Revezzo, New Adult, fantasy, romance, pagan paranormal romanceMurder Upon a Midnight Clear by Juli D. Revezzo, paranromal mystery, Christmas romance, pagan paranormal romance, read free with Kindle UnlimitedWatchmaker's Heart by Juli D. Revezzo, Steampunk romance, Victorian romance, read free with Kindle Unlimited
Bicycle Requiem by Juli D. Revezzo, Gothic fiction, zombie fiction, novelette, borrow with Kindle Unlimited

Social media



AmazonbloglovinFacebook

google+InstagramPinterest

twitter



Join my newsletter/mailing list and get a free story now!

* indicates required
Email Format

View previous campaigns.

Blog Archive

Moon

CURRENT MOON

Networked blogs