Planning--a writer's writing life #indie #authorhelp #IndieAuthors #mondayblogs #mondaymotivation

Good morning Hey look, she's done something new? What is that, you ask? Scheduled a post!

I know, breathe. The shock will wear off in a moment. :) Yes, I know, I should schedule more of these ahead of time. Most of the time, however, I can't. I have this idea in my head that, if I'm going to update you on my writing/non-writing life, what if I post a post and then, something important comes up? Do I bombard you, my loyal readers, with another post? Edit the last? Eek!

Yes, I know, silly rationale, but there it is. If the last six months is any indication, you'd think I'd just know to bite the bullet, write the darned post, and schedule it. I mean really, what does it matter when a babbly post goes live? That's my plan for the year, blogwise: try to schedule a few more of these for posting at later dates.


So what's been on my mind this week? Mostly trying to catch up. I have investigated the whole planner craze, even have one (see?), but I can't seem to keep it in my hand.

Let's face it, I'm an indie author and an occasional blogger. Aside from promotional stuff (blog tours, blog posts, the rare Facebook event, daily tweeting, an Instagram post, or a reminder to get a darned vlog posted, here and there) there's not a whole heck of a lot to write down on the ole schedule.  In fact,*thinks* most stuff I do I can pre-schedule to go live at any given point. (If I remember to get off my duff and actually write them up here before the day I intend them to go live). But since I do have a planner, I'll try to get better using it.


After all, I enjoy looking at the new calendars and I always seem to have a plan as to which one I want when I buy them after Christmas. The problem with buying them after Christmas is invariably you have to set your heart on a few different ones, just in case someone snaps up the one you really want. I've never really been disappointed though;there's always something to pick from.

This year, everyone and their mom are collecting and showing off planners.Even those of us who work at home, writing. I myself like the look of Danielle LaPorte's (except for that price tag: sit down for this--$44). I've even seen some that are (yeah, you should sit down for this one.) $60.

WHAT??? Now don't get me wrong, they're pretty, and I really like Danielle's site, but that's a wee bit too rich for my blood. I've  considered making my own (because you know, expense). It wouldn't be that hard if you know how to use a pencil, ruler, some stickers, I think... but...you know what?
I got that  teeny one on sale at Walmart and a stack of blank books (which I go through like water) for... wait for it....

 $10 total. (you can see I paid less than $3 for the planner above). It doesn't have slots (that I can see) to add more pages, but...*shrugs* I don't know about you, but as most of my day consists of sitting in front of my computer, tapping out new stories [or edits for ones already in progress] or emails to various colleagues and bloggers (see above), and, heck, let's face it, being an indie, even my deadlines are fluid... to invest more than that seems pointless. I can't figure out why I (an indie author) should add another blank-ish book to the pile, on top of my notebooks, journals (where I more often than not just write out what tarot card I pulled that day [an ongoing process, even though Lady of the Tarot has already seen release], or my phone.* Sure, I like having a calendar where I can write down birthdays, anniversaries, and what few appointments I have on what dates (anyone want to talk about that? I have a  few semi-new witchy novels out!), and when I sent my latest manuscript in the Celtic Stewards Chronicles off to various editorial rounds), but a book sized calendar? I've never bought one that I've actually ended up using all the way through. However, never say never. Maybe this year I will utilize that whole planner.

Speaking of planners and inserts and so forth, Love From Mim gave out a freebie blank Monthly planner page. Mine looks like this:



Yessiree, I live a pretty darned exciting life, don't I? *lol* (I wonder if I can moosh that page down to make it fit in my Blue Sky planner....probably not)
 
For those of you who work mainly at home (like us writers), have you been sold on planners? Why? And more importantly, how do you use them?

Planning--a writer's writing life http://bit.ly/2jmuTQP #indie #authorhelp #IndieAuthors #mondayblogs #mondaymotivation Tweet this!

*which, actually, I don't like as much as I like writing in a blank book.
 
Juli D. Revezzo is the author of the MOURNING DOVE LOCKET, the latest in the Antique Magic paranormal series, also the Celtic Stewards Chronicles fantasy romance series, as well as the Gothic romance LADY OF THE TAROT. Her books are available at Amazon and elsewhere.
 
***

Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Welcome to the blog of author Juli D. Revezzo

Post a Comment