What's on your Shuffle this week?


radioheart by Juli D. Revezzo; radio photo from Free digital Photos; heart from scrapkit

Reposting this because, I didn't remember it was set for the same day as author Shelley Pickens' promo post. My apologies.

I saw this question on another blog (Jessica's Ramblings On Readings, actually) and thought it would be fun.

Shuffle. Well, today it's a sortakinda throwback. "One Word" off Heart's new cd Beautiful Broken
Why do I say sortakinda? Well, this song was one that they recorded in 1982 for their then-new album Private Audition.

I always loved the song. I hear-tell (from articles around time and on their own website) that the ladies in Heart never were happy with how some of the older songs  they've included on Beautiful Broken came out. For myself I adore those songs both the new and the 80s versions, which yes, I did first hear way back then. Bebe Le Strange was the first Heart record I ever bought--heck, it was the first record! And to this day I love all the songs on it. Private Audition too, though at first the eclectic mix of songs had to grow on me (if one of these don't fit with the other, it'd be Private Audition itself and the song [off PA] This Man is Mine. I like them both but at the time, they just didn't fit, especially coming off Bebe Le Strange.

(Can you tell I'm a fan?)

Time went on and the "What doesn't fit" here grew. I confess,I'm more a fan of their sound pre-Private Audition. (Thanking the gods that they returned to that sound with Jupiter's Darling and Red Velvet Car).

Ahem, sorry. Didn't mean to wax fangirly nostalgic. :) Looking back, I enjoy PA more than I did then. But Beautiful Broken has been on repeat on my player since it came out. And, hell, let's face it, you can't go wrong by dueting with Metallica's James Hetfield!  OMG, wouldn't it be cool if Ann Wilson sang on the next Metallica album? [She doesn't, but still, maybe the next?] Or even better, covered...I dunno. "Fade to Black"? *dream*

Sorry, didn't mean to go off vamping on the theme. Yes, I am a fangirl (Heart's song Dreamboat Annie made a mark on a very early version of  the manuscript that became my book Passion's Sacred Dance, incidentally--so did Metallica, actually).

When speaking of the shuffle button on my player, though? Honestly, I don't really like it. Maybe it dates me, but if I was going to mix them, I might as well just listen to the radio. My hubby likes it, I don't. There it is. But when I have someone's album playing (say Beautiful Broken, Bebe Le Strange, Death Magnetic, Master of Puppets!) I enjoy listening to said-album beginning to end.

Juli D. Revezzo is the author of the Antique Magic paranormal series and the Celtic Stewards Chronicles fantasy romance series, as well as the Steampunk romance Watchmaker's Heart. Her books are available at Amazon and elsewhere

Share this:

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Welcome to the blog of author Juli D. Revezzo

Post a Comment