Sunday, May 23, 2010

Books that didn't...

This post was inspired by Stella at Ex Libris....Since I've started reviewing, oh so many years ago--way before I ever heard of review copies-- I've chosen not to step on toes, by reviewing books I just could not stand. There have been many, over the years--some that best friends have suggested to me. That our tastes haven't always meshed has not had an impact on our relationship, and that's a good thing.

However, as a writer, I worry about saying anything bad about a book, publicly. Daddy always says, "If you can't say anything nice, best to say nothing at all". And I stand by that. So I just choose to check those titles off, quietly and not offend anyone. The folks that send me books for review know this, and seem to respect that decision. Some books that I have read that you have not seen reviewed here?

The Widow of The South by Robert Hicks... even though Grand Central sent me this one to review.

Oddly enough I do like some historical romance, however.

Other works I've read lately that I haven't quite loved would be

Tad Williams' The Dragonbone Chair.... and that's an old read for me, going back about ten years. I may give it another chance, I dunno.

Charles De Lint: "The Little Country" Again, going back a few years (ten, maybe?), when a friend loaned it to me, and yet...I just didn't fall for it. But I do like his Native American flavored fantasies, and now that I'm, you know, enamored of Urban Fantasy, I think I'd probably like them more, were I to start over again.

Anne Bishop: Daughter of the Blood... I bought this one, new, no less, about the time it came out. But it took me several years to finally get to it. In the end, I didn't care for it--oh, I enjoyed Ms. Bishop's style of writing, very much, the world was interesting. But there were elements of the story that just...really bothered me.

China Mieville: King Rat: This was a library check out. Since he's referred to a lot in the same breath with the birth of urban fantasy, and since I wanted to read Perdido Street Station, I picked it up when the library was out of PSS. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to find KR was just a rewritten version of the Pied Piper, and longtime readers know how I feel about rewritten faery tales.

Maggie Furey's Aurian and Harp Of Winds. I read these all the way back in 1998 in a frenzy of fantasy reading that spanned Zelzany, to Adams and back. I barely remember anything about it, now, but I remember I could barely make it through the first book... Sad to say.

And lest you think it is only the genres that include things that I found lacking, I will point this out: I never did care for the works of William Faulkner, Hemingway, William Dean Howells, Dickens, and Frank Norris. I also found some romances I've read, and quite a few so-called best sellers boring, from contemporary slice of life authors, to historical best sellers, big companies and little companies and all sorts in between, sent to me for review, or purchased or begged or borrowed. So,yes, I am a picky girl. By all means, give these novels a try. I hope you enjoy them more than I did.
Post a Comment

Juli's Books

Available at now at Itunes:
Bicycle Requiem

Amazon. Some also available at Audible, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords and Createspace and now Google Play
Bicycle Requiem by Juli D. Revezzo, Gothic fiction, zombie fiction, novelette, Amazon kindle, Itunes, Google Play
Now at Google Play and
Itunes!
x
Passion's Sacred Dance, Celtic Stewards Chronicles, book 1 by Juli D. Revezzo, fantasy, romance, pagan paranormal romance, read free with Kindle Unlimited
free with Audible trial, Watchmaker's Heart by Juli D. Revezzo, Steampunk romance, Victorian romance, audiobook
New audiobook @ Audible
Frigga's
audiobook @ Audible
Victorian romance, historical romance, Juli D. Revezzo, historical romance, read free with Amazon Prime, Kindle UnlimitedThe Artist's Inheritance, Antique Magic book 1, by Juli D. Revezzo, Gothic fiction, witch fiction, pagan paranormal fictionCaitlin's Book of Shadows, Antique Magic book 2, by Juli D. Revezzo, short fiction, free ebook, witch fiction, pagan paranormal fiction
FREE ON ALL VENUES
Drawing Down the Shades, Antique Magic book 3, by Juli D. Revezzo, Gothic fiction, witch fiction, pagan paranormal fictionLady of the Tarot by Juli D. Revezzo, Gothic romance, historical romance, tarot
House of Cards, Reign of Tarot book 1, by Juli D. Revezzo, pagan paranormal fiction, witch fiction, tarot-themed fiction, Gothic fiction, supernatural horrorSing a Mournful Melody by Juli D. Revezzo, Gothic fiction, Vampire fiction, short storyChangeling's Crown by Juli D. Revezzo, New Adult, fantasy, romance, pagan paranormal romance, Google Play, Itunes
Now at Google Play
Murder Upon a Midnight Clear by Juli D. Revezzo, paranromal mystery, Christmas romance, pagan paranormal romance, read free with Kindle UnlimitedWatchmaker's Heart by Juli D. Revezzo, Steampunk romance, Victorian romance, read free with Kindle Unlimitedx

Social media



AmazonbloglovinFacebook

google+InstagramPinterest

twitter



Join my newsletter/mailing list and get a free story now!

* indicates required
Email Format

View previous campaigns.

Nanowrimo 2017

Blog Archive

Moon

CURRENT MOON

Networked blogs